The plain-English resource every employer, manager and HR professional needs.
New laws affect every aspect of being an employer—from interviewing and hiring, to handling employee benefits to firing.
The most complete guide to your legal rights and responsibilities, The Employer's Legal Handbook shows you how to comply with the most recent workplace laws and regulations, run a safe and fair workplace and avoid lawsuits. Learn everything you need to know about:
- Hiring: Understand the legal guidelines for hiring employees, writing job descriptions, conducting interviews and investigating applicants.
- Smart personnel practices: What to include in employee personnel files, employee handbooks, performance reviews and references for former employees.
- Wages & hours: Comply with federal and state overtime and minimum wage requirements.
- Employee benefits: Learn the ins and outs of wage and hour laws, retirement plans and health insurance.
- Workplace health and safety: Comply with OSHA requirements, and implement policies on smoking, drugs and alcohol abuse.
- Discrimination: Prevent sexual harassment and discrimination based on age, race, pregnancy, sexual orientation and national origin.
- Termination and layoffs: Avoid wrongful termination cases, conduct a final meeting and protect your business information when employees leave.
- Laws affecting small business practices: Everything you need to know about the Americans With Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, health and safety issues, employee testing and more.
The 8th edition updates the book's easy-to-use legal charts to provide your state's current employment laws. It also covers the latest developments, such as the Supreme Court's new definition of "retaliation," and why the number of claims against employers are going up.